After tens of leaks and rumors, Samsung has finally unveiled its stunningly beautiful flagship phones, Galaxy S8 & S8 Plus phones at its Unpacked 2017 event in New York and they’re exactly like those leaks had suggested.
Galaxy S8 is the smaller variant with screen size of 5.8 inches and S8 Plus like the name suggests has a bigger screen; of 6.2 inches. The most notable change apart from the beautiful design is Samsung ditching the physical home button on both the phones. Both the devices have minimal bezels or as Samsung calls them, Infinity Display.
They will support 18.5:9 display and have 1440 X 2960 resolution unlike previous models of Galaxy S phones which used to have 16:9 display. That would give users more vertical screen real estate.
The phones come in five different colors: Midnight Black, Orchid Gray, Coral Blue, Arctic Silver & Maple Gold. The fingerprint sensor has been moved to back of the phone and users will be able to unlock the phone with retina or their full face as well.
They come with Samsung’s Bixby, a personal assistant; Samsung’s very own Siri and it has a dedicated key just below the volume button which tells you how important Bixby is for Samsung.
Here is an overview of Galaxy S8’s specifications.
- Size: 148.9 x 68.1 x 8mm
- Weight: 152g
- 5.8-inch Infinity Super AMOLED curved display with 2960 x 1440 resolution (571 PPI)
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor or Exynos 8895 8895 processor, depending on market
- 4GB of RAM, 6GB of RAM in China
- 64GB of UFS 2.1 storage, 128GB of UFS 2.1 storage in China
- microSD support up to 256GB
- 12-megapixel F/1.7 camera with autofocus and optical image stabilization, Quick Launch and Bixby support
- 8-megapixel F/1.7 front camera with autofocus, Quick Launch, and Bixby support
- Iris scanner, Fingerprint sensor, Heart rate sensor
- IP68 water and dust proof certification
- 3,000 mAh battery with fast-charging, wireless charging, and battery saving modes
- Android 7.0 Nougat with Samsung UX on top
Galaxy S8+ is 21 grams heavier, has a 3,500 mAh battery and obviously comes with a 6.2 inches screen.
The pricing starts from $720 for S8 and $840 for S8+ and the phones will be available in the whole Middle East & North Africa including Saudi Arabia & UAE. For prices in Saudi & UAE, we can expect a 15-20% variation which is normally the case. That would make S8 start from somewhere around 3,250 SR or AED and S8+ from 3,800.
Did we mention that it comes with $99 earphones by AKG? I have only seen the videos of the phone but I love it. Samsung, please take my money already!
Featured Image via TechCrunch
- Flat6Labs launches $20 million seed fund for Jordan - June 16, 2021
- Pakistan’s Jugnu raises $3.2 million for its B2B ecommerce marketplace - June 15, 2021
- Dubai’s Valeo raises $3 million seed to give users control over their health - June 15, 2021